Position: Labour Relations OfficerLocation: Northern Cape – Either De Aar or Droogfontein
Accomodation: Provided (candidate must relocate for duration of contract)
Industry: Construction experience beneficial
Duration: Fixed Term – Initially 7 months
Salary: R25,000.00 monthly (CTC)
Positions Available : 2
Languages: Must speak English and Afrikaans
Reports To: Site Manager
Introduction Schletter GmbH, headquartered in Germany, is one of the leading manufacturers of Solar Photovoltaic mounting structures. The significant growth of this industry has allowed the company to expand into a number of new markets including the North America, Asia and Africa.
Schletter South Africa (PTY) Ltd has been established as part of the African expansion objectives and therefore requires additional human capital to ensure we fulfill our objectives. The local subsidiary is already designing, engineering and fabricating mounting structures for two of the largest solar PV projects in South Africa.
We therefore require the services of an experienced LabourRelations Officer to administer the items related to appropriate labour management, bargaining, grievance and dismissal procedures..
Please apply, if you are energetic, well organized and willing to work in the fast growing renewable energy industry with a young versatile team.
Qualification and Experience
· Relevant Degree or National Diploma in Labour Relations or Industrial Relations (Duration: 3 years)
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the field of labour relations with a particular focus on the construction industry.
· Experience in energy or renewable energy is advantageous
· Experience in overseeing a culturally diverse workforce
· Candidates should be capable of managing internal and external resources
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
· Thorough working knowledge of the collective bargaining processes in South Africa
· General knowledge of construction regulations as well as relevant and applicable labour legislation
· Working relationship with Trade Unions that may be present on site.
· Excellent English and Afrikaans written and oral communications skills
· The candidate must be fluent in both Afrikaans and English
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Labour Relations Officer to perform duties in ER strategies, policies and procedures, sound employment practices in accordance with relevant labour legislation, have a strong employee relations focus, proven knowledge of South African labour legislation.
The candidate will be expected to ensure reasonable and fair treatment of labour in the workplace according to the relevant labour legislation and the basic conditions of employment. In addition the candidate must investigate and resolve grievances, handle disputes, consult with unions if necessary, aid in collective negotiations, develop reports on labour matters, as well as advise line managers, middle management, upper management and sub- contractors, on labour relations policies to ensure a harmonious work environment.
1. Development of labour management procedures related to general management, grievances, discipline and/or dismissals
2. Advice and assistance to management and personnel regarding labour relations, labour law and related policy in the workplace.
3. Close interaction with the appointed Socio Economic Development officer already appointed to ensure alignment to the skills recruitment requirements of Schletter for the projects
4. Collation of all relevant employment documentation per candidate to ensure compliant appointment
5. Thorough explanation to all sub-contractors and employees of the rights of labour on site
6. Explanation of the labour procedures and management
7. Ensuring thorough understanding of the role of employees on site including sub-contractors.
8. Contract review to ensure there is no violation of labour rights
9. Ensuring signage is erected which outlines Basic Conditions of Employment.
Implementing human resource communication strategies aimed at creating awarenessSeeking acknowledgement by participating in trade union and local community forums.
Health and Safety
1. Ensure solid comprehension of Occupational Health and Safety processes with all those employed on site by Schletter and its immediate sub-contractors.
2. Ensure accurate articulation of the various roles of labour onsite.
1. Ensuring a sound working relationship with management and labour
2. Establishment of labour forums to promote communication
3. Collective bargaining if applicable
4. Close interaction with community leaders and the Socio Economic Development Officer
5. Facilitating negotiations forums in the workplace and mediate where possible
1. Weekly reporting on any issues that may have arisen
2. Development of recommendation reports to mitigate any potential problems that may arise related to employment relations. This must come as a result of interactions with labour.
3. Minutes of meetings between management and labour in particular tool box talks
4. Thorough and comprehensive documentation related to disciplinary procedures carried out or to be carried out
6. Minutes of meetings with the community leaders and Socio Economic Development Officer
7. Monitoring the performance of contractors and other staff departments to ensure that they conform to established labour relations policy, procedures and practices. Failure in compliance should be brought immediately to the attention of the Site Manager and Program Manager
1. Represent Company in misconduct cases.
2. Handle labour disputes.
3. Facilitate disciplinary hearings
4. Handle all misconduct and grievances.
5. Policy initiation and formulation.
In addition to the hard skill requirements Schletter South Africa is also looking for candidates that are:
Willing to take on additional responsibility
Excellent communication skills
Reasons to Work for Schletter
Openness and team work is encouraged within our young versatile team
Significant opportunity for growth within the organisation
A challenging and varied position within a new industry
On the job training
Your CV to Michelle.Lekgothoane@schletter.co.za